Tonight, in the Youth Detention Center, we did a Bible study with the boys about the 10 commandments. We let the youth write their own 10 commandments. Everybody had to come to consensus on what was an agreeable commandment. The consensus process was a little challenging, but the youth were great at the process! I’m going to record as many as I can remember here! Some were wise…and some were, well, interesting!
- Everybody gets what they need (and they work for it)
- Honor your elders (attitude)
- Obey God
- Help the poor
- Help the needy
- Be fruitful and multiply (but no prostitutes)
- Respect life (quite a discussion about what murder is and is not)
- Live the life you were given and do the best you can
As you can see, I can’t quite remember them all. Maybe I’ll come up with them sometime in the middle of the night!
What would be the 10 commandments you would write?